Sunday, November 24, 2013

Day 322 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author/publisher,
Dane F. Baylis

WHEN I FINISH THIS BLOGGING CHALLENGE

OR

THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES TO BEING CYBER-SPACED OUT!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
I've been giving a lot of thought to life after 365 CONSECUTIVE days of blogging. What will I do to fill the time I've spent doing this? Let's face it, when every day is another topic, another attempt at trying not to sound too stupid, another post that you hope can inspire, provoke, evoke, or just plain piss somebody off - After a while you start seriously evaluating the entire on-line experience.
 
Mind you, I am far more deeply involved with the whole social media thing than just this blog. I have my FB and Twitter accounts, an on-line course I'm taking, various sites and venues I try to at make a small contribution to - time permitting - but in all honesty, it just doesn't replace honest, in person interactions. As a matter of fact, it falls far short.
 
That's why, when I migrate this thing to its more permanent home in January, I'm going to reduce my blogging frequency to twice a week, maximum. What will I do with the rest of my time? For one thing, I'm going to see if I can get a flesh and blood poetry workshop going in my hometown. The kind where we won't spend all our time telling each other how damned spiffy we are, but working to improve our craft in the face of, and with the aid of, some good old fashioned tough love critiquing. I also intend to spend more time at a local coffee shop discussing the day's topics in depth instead of responding to soporific, 140 character or less witticisms. I'm going to spend more time attending writer's conferences - IN PERSON!
 
In other words, I'm going where real people have real conversations and share deep, meaningful associations instead of e-mails and poorly thought out retorts to postings they misconstrued or just didn't understand in the first place. I'm going to hang out with the artists, writers, musicians, and actors who make a real commitment of themselves and their time to maintaining vibrant, productive communities in the physical world. The world where you step up to a real microphone or out in front of a real audience and hang your ego on the wall along with your art. Where the name of the game is taking a chance, after you've learned your craft, instead of skipping the learning and avoiding the risks.
 
I will maintain my new blog as a place to post my appearance schedule and to flog my published work, and offer advice, tips, and value-added content. As I get further back into the community-at-large, I hope to be able to steer my visitors to other artist's work, along with the venues that are featuring them. I'm looking forward to the whole thing with a new sense of challenge and excitement. Hope some of you make the trip with me!
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live, love, write.
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author/Publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment