Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 316 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author/publisher,
Dane F. Baylis

LET'S CALL THIS AN OBSERVATION

OR

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Here I am with a little under two months left on this blogging challenge and I thought I'd share something I've noticed in over ten months of daily postings. I'm not sure why, but it seems that when I publish some tirade, some snarky attack regarding laziness, lack of originality, or some other broadside laced with profanity and all the subtlety of a pitbull after a pork chop, my visitor statistics skyrocket. The converse is true when I try to offer my limited insights in a calm, well thought out essay aimed at informing and encouraging other struggling authors.
 
It was my original concept that, having slogged my way around the nether regions of the writing game for the last four decades, it might be useful to try and impart what I've encountered and learned in all that time. That was the intent I had when I started this blog and I think I've done a good job trying to follow that idea. I've talked about form and structure, syntax, symbolism - Any number of topics, but the result has been almost ridiculously predictable.
 
Maybe the blogosphere is just too crowded, or the lowest common denominator is becoming the norm. If that's the case, then it really is too bad. I've posed questions that never received answers. I've offered give-aways to try and stir interest. I even opened the forum for other people's work, and got close to nothing. But, let me go off like a raving loon, and suddenly I have a couple of hundred visits in a 24 hour period.
 
As a study in human behavior it just fortifies the view that everybody wants to watch a train wreck. That was something I didn't expect when I started this page. Perhaps someone out there has some thoughts on this? I'd love to hear them, though, past performance being the only measure, I'm not going to hold my breath.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live, love, write.
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author/Publisher.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment