Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 25 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis

Talk About Your Worst Habit And What You Do To Avoid It

Anytime I see a woman in a wetsuit...Well that's not really what I'd call a habit. It's more like the occasional guilty indulgence. About the worst habit I have is my insomniac nights. I literally have to tell myself to put down the book, close the notebook, shut off the computer, do not make a pot of coffee, or a bacon, cheese, tomato, jalapeno, and onion omelet. and Go The Hell To Bed. Let's get a bit therapeutic here, I still have to maintain a day job, there is the reality of a mortgage, food, gasoline to get back and forth to Staples and Office Depot, oh yeah, AND work too, clothing, the light bill, gas bill, water and refuse bill. Notebooks, stationary, pens, toner, postage, reading fees for contests...Dammit! Think I'll go cruise a dive shop!
 
Literally, I have to remind myself that, besides the possibility of a total psychotic break, or massive injury on a job in the building trades (Ever seen the actuarial tables...that will make you wonder why you thought manual labor was such a GREAT idea!), writing demands a rested mind and the ability to concentrate and explore the subject at hand. So, after my beloved has already visited me in her nightgown and kissed my feverish brow, hinting that I might want to THINK about getting some rest, I am still sitting in this chair as if I were a character in some surrealist flick like "Brazil" or "Twelve Monkeys" shackled to my workstation with no chance of reprieve.
 
This has been my pattern since before my teens when I would literally hide under the covers on my bed with a desk lamp and read entire adventure and science fiction novels in a night. My teachers all though I had some blood disorder which caused horribly bloodshot eyes combined with bags beneath them of a size normally associated with around the world cruises. After all these years you would think I just simply would have burnt-out like a lightning-sparked fire in the Snake River Canyon, but nope, given half an inspiration and a moment's drop of my guard and the next thing I know it's midnight and I have to be up at quarter to five to get ready for work. Son of a bitch! Where did the night go?
 
So, if you're up way past your bedtime, think about submitting a bit of short fiction out to 1200 words, poetry to 25 lines, or a carefully thought out essay for the Your Work/Your Love page. No pay. Just exposure. Authors retain all rights. Use the follow or subscribe gadgets on the right side of the page if you like. I love the company. As always, comments, critiques, or questions are welcome with a timely response guaranteed.
 
In the meantime...live, love, write.
 
 
Dane F. Baylis 

No comments:

Post a Comment