Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 20 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis

Share My 2012 Book Releases With Blurbs

Just had an interesting talk with my logical side, you would recognize her as my wife. She expressed concern that there are so many prompts for the 365 Days of Blogging that are lead-ins to talk about books that have been written, published, and released. As I have said here rather often, I have published a good deal of poetry, some short fiction, the occasional op/ed and one or two essays. I have not yet published a novel length piece nor have I ever actually tried to do that until now. I am working on a techno/thriller that I feel has some real promise and daily is becoming more and more what I would want in a novel.
 
The concern expressed is that by taking part in a blog-a-thon that is organized around and fitted to the already recognized producers of longer fiction I may be shorting myself and the chances of the work I have undertaken. She feels that, regardless of my age or background, I am presenting a negative image as a neophyte in a community of veterans. I have to admit that I can see a validity in what she says, but at the same time I feel that I have things to say that are worth hearing and that, finished or not, being in the process has purchased a ticket for this ride.
 
Of course, I've been wrong in the past and have to admit that I can see the logic in the argument for silence until the project is more complete but it is contrary to everything I am seeing about 'platform' and 'prescence' so I want to put this out to the general community. Should I shuck the 365 Days of Blogging in an attempt to protect myself from creating an image of a raw amateur? I would really like some feedback on this from the community at large, and I don't kid myself on that count either because my audience is anything but large as of yet. What says the jury?
 
I leave you with the usual...live, love, write.
 
 
Dane F. Baylis



No comments:

Post a Comment