Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 74 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis

It's All About Old Dogs

A Philosophy of Staying The Same In An Ever Changing World.

or

Why everything old seems to get prettier.

 
I've been out here learning all sorts of new tricks. Blogging, platforms, tribes...and there are times I feel like I'm chasing my tail. But the other thing I've been coming to realize is nothing short of revelatory. In a landscape that is absolutely flooded in vampires, and magic and self-help for every disfunction real and percieved, I don't have to go look for a niche...I AM ONE. Amid all the romances and coming of ages and the careers for the retired, by just plodding along I have carved out my space in the landscape without trying.
 
It's like that spot in the woodline where that old ferral dog has slept for season after season. There's a comfortable dent where the climate never seems to get to out of whack, enough shade in the heat and cover in the rain and it just smells right. No, it's not a warm rug by the fire...But that was never where I was headed in the literary landscape...It's a rough environment where you howl at the moon to declare your place. There's the occasional interloper, but they're mostly domesticated and more content to yap for a bit and run off. I can still stand my ground (I've got the scars to back that up) and will if that's what it takes.
 
There's something to be said for longevity. Nope, it hasn't made me rich or famous...It has made me less enamored of those things. This is that place in the scenery where you know who you are and that there are no boundaries for the bold. It's not genre driven or cliche'd. It's a place for free expression of ideas that can be nasty, direct and crass but are none the less beautiful in their homeliness. It's where you get to be YOU!
 
As self centered as it may seem, I like being me, and I invite you to come on out to the woodline. I don't bite, much, these days and I've got history, the kind that builds character and style. I can be blunt and at times, maybe, more truthful than some would like. Then again, not everyone who asks for the truth is actually looking for it. Stop by and bark me up...We might run the night together.
 
 
Got comments, questions, criticism? Please use the form at the bottom of the page. Love hearing from any and all. There are gadgets on the right of the page for following and subscribing. There's also a list of some of the sites I visit from time to time over there. Give them a look. I can be contacted directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com and welcome your email.
 
 
Remember...live, love, write.
 
 
Dane F. Baylis



No comments:

Post a Comment