Thursday, March 28, 2013

Day 81 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis

Take Today To Rant...Let Off Some Steam!

Yes, I know...Like I needed permission for that one!

I've been spending much more time on-line since I reactivated my writing career. This has been a boon and a dilemma. I have found many new sources for learning and a broader community of other writers. But at what cost?
 
Along with a wider reach, audience, and opportunity to collaborate and share, there is also the time involved in all this. As wonderful tools as computers, smart-phones, digital readers and tablets may be, they are also an intrusion. So much so that, making a comparison of my quantity and quality of work produced with their assistance and intrusion was kind of shocking!
 
I actually noticed a boost in quantity but it was accompanied by a measurable sag in quality. Was this because of my advancing years and diminishing capacity? Or was it because of something else? I could extrapolate any result I wanted - being as I am not techno-phobic but still somewhat techno-resistant. (I tend not to adopt newer devices and methods until I can see a definite benefit in them for my purposes.) Either would have been pure conjecture and strictly based on my opinion.
 
So I went looking about for other, far more savvy opinions than my own. To this end I would like to submit a voice both sage and respected in the technology world, Kevin Kellyof Wired Magazine, speaking at the TED conference; and British author, Tom Chatfield, speaking at the Institute of Arts and Ideas. I could go on for days on this subject but I bow to far more eloquent authorities.
 
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
In the meantime...live, love, write.
Dane F. Baylis




No comments:

Post a Comment