Friday, February 15, 2013

Helpful hints from your Uncle Dane

The author, Dane F. Baylis

Get Out Of The House

Working for a school district has its advantages (No, I'm not a teacher and I don't want to hear about everything you find wrong with modern education). One of the biggest ones is that you find yourself with a good deal of time off. This works out in a number of ways.
 
I've been a geographical bachelor this week, which means I've had full responsibility for meals, laundry, pets, work, shopping, blah, blah, and blah. This has cut in to my writing time a bit which tends to leave me a little testy at times (I know...Flaky artists!). But I am sitting here writing this in the late morning on Friday because, I'VE GOT THE DAMNED DAY OFF! Complaints? Write your congress-person.
 
Anyway, having caught up with the laundry, tended to the cats, responded to some of the mundane things of life like paying bills, I'm packing my notebooks into my musette bag and heading out for breakfast. I'll take my place at the counter and order whatever and while I wait I'll work on a short story, or poem, or make notes about the sounds and life around me.
 
After breakfast I'll head for a local coffee house and sit around there doing more of the same. All of this amidst the clatter and noise and bustle associated with such places. Why there and not in the snug confines of my office/studio? Because that's where the people are and I write about people.
 
Let's face it. No matter how good you are, you need to recharge the reservoir of image and subject matter from time to time. Painters and sculptors do it. Photographers live in it. Play writes and screen writers wouldn't have anything to do without it. So, every now and then, get your ass out of the chair, get a handle on your agoraphobia long enough to go outside. Because, although we like to think we create worlds, they already exist and the best we do is capture and translate them. Even Charles Dickens, one of the all time great recluses, knew he had to experience life to write about it.
 
As always, looking for short fiction to 1200 words, poetry to 25 lines, and carefully crafted essays for the Your Work/Your Love page. You can email them to me at dbaylis805@gmail.com. There are gadgets on the right side of the page for following and subscribing...love to have you join in (It helps with search engine ratings). I welcome all comments, critique, and questions. There's a box at the bottom of the page for that. I respond as quickly as I can.
 
In the meantime...live, love, write.
 
 
Dane F. Baylis
 


No comments:

Post a Comment