Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day 37 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis

Create a Top Ten List on a Theme of My Choice

I feel kind of like Letterman.
 
Let's make this the top ten experiences in my life.
 
1. At the top of this list is the one event that has always meant the most to me and it may come off as a bit sappy, but let the chips fall where they may. That event was the day my best friend decided to become my wife. This in itself was no mean feat in that I had to ask her three times and have her change her mind twice. To say I was an intimidating marriage prospect would put it in its best light. She finally agreed and we have made our way through thirty three years together. Baby, you still knock my socks off!
 
2. The birth of my daughter. This was the final stabilizing influence. I am probably still alive because of her entry into my life. Love you Tracey!
 
3. The day Col. Ola L. Myes handed me a diploma and a Green Beret. Only another member of Special Forces can really understand that.
 
4.The first time I saw my work in print with my byline.
 
5. The first time I had a one man show of my art.
 
6. Hitchhiking across the United States. You cannot appreciate what an incredibly diverse and wonderful people we are until you have place yourself in the good graces of so many strangers. I was given rides, advice, money, food and the knowledge that, yes we can be terribly schizophrenic at times in the way we view our fellow man but we can also exhibit the biggest hearts in the universe given the chance.
 
7. The day I stepped from an aircraft at fourteen thousand feet and realized what it must feel like to be a bird! (Except, of course, no matter how hard you flap you're not going back up!)
 
8. The day I earned my pilot's license and took care of that discrepancy in number 7.
 
9.The day we released the first edition of Goliath, an "underground" newspaper produced by high school students. This was my introduction to interviews with such people as Eugene McCarthy, Benjamin Spock, Gore Vidal and the knowledge that anyone can make a difference and we all put our pants on the same way, one leg at a time.
 
10. The day I stopped thinking of myself as someone who writes and began to believe in myself as a writer. If you do nothing else in this world, do that. It is larger than you can imagine!
 
As always, looking for short fiction to 1200 words, poetry to 25 lines, and carefully crafted essays for the Your Work/Your Love page. You can find gadgets to follow or subscribe to this blog on the right side (Just point your mouse there). Comments, critiques, and questions are always welcomed and answered with as much speed as I can muster.
 
Remember to...live, love, write.
 
 
Dane F. Baylis
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment