Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day 32 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis

Tell How I've Done On My New Years Resolutions.

To say you're looking at it would be an understatement. After spending a number of years (Yes, I said YEARS) in a state of suspended animation deeper than the one they were holding Walt Disney in I've re-emerged into the writing life. That started out as a simple thought of, "Guess I'll see what's going on in the writing world."
 
It has since evolved into this blog, a presence on Google + and taking part in several communities and the sometimes baffling conversations that occur there. Add to this a Facebook page and my daily word count goes through the roof just doing short comments. Then there was the desire to see about sending out some of the poetry that's been providing nesting material for silverfish and rodents.Truthfully, some of what I've seen on-line and in ebook form leads me to believe I've got better than even odds in that department.
 
Inevitably came the, "Damn the torpedoes Gridley, full speed ahead!" moment. As I've said in this blog any number of times, I've published some short fiction along the way and know I have a feel for characters and dialogue, so why not run some of that through the word processing program? Short stories are by nature...well...short. Kind of like long, dramatic synopses, right? After that what is the, if not logical then predictable, next step? Face it, anybody as unbalanced as I can be from moment to moment is going to naturally say, "You know, how hard can a novel be?" Do not even start, that was absurdly rhetorical, I'm a plotter and that is a doctoral thesis on the hard way in itself.
 
How have I done in my resolutions? One poetry manuscript and four short stories out for submission. One novel outline completed and character studies in the works. Four other short stories in different stages of development. New poetry - and journal entries - and a blog post daily. Oh, did I mention a day job at forty plus hours per week along with all the other minutiae of day to day living? Hell I should just have said I was going to lose another twenty pounds. But I haven't been that light since my sophomore year of high school!
 
As always, I'm looking for short fiction to 1200 words, poetry to 25 lines, and carefully crafted essays for the Your Work/Your Love page. No pay, just the glory of seeing it someplace else besides your notebook. Authors retain all rights. 
 
Please follow or subscribe to this blog, it helps in the search engine ratings. Gadgets for those functions are on the right side of the page. Comments, critiques, questions are always welcome. Use the form below.
 
 
Remember to...live, love, write.
 
 
Dane F. Baylis

No comments:

Post a Comment