Monday, February 18, 2013

Day 43 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis

What Genre Would I Love To Try Writing In?

Well, I actually love writing in the genre I'm in now which is a gritty slice of life with hints of mystery/crime. I am, however, also working on a techno-thriller that is coming along slowly but steadily. The theme of governmental subversion and repression of freedoms is one I have a passion for and feel is relevant with the geo-political climate in the United States and the world today. The driver behind my writing is almost always taken first from something that effects me strongly and there are definite trends and agendas I see in current events on all sides that make me wary.
 
One other area I have considered is historical fiction. I am fascinated by the period of westward expansion from about 1800 through the late 1840's. The fur trappers and traders who led the way into the plains and mountains beyond the Mississippi and Missouri rivers were a rare and colorful breed who left behind real life legends and bigger than life stories. Much of my own life experience has given me a great appreciation of these characters and the world they lived in and the hardship they faced. I feel I might be able to use my insights to create a window into a world that few today can even imagine. Done right it would rival a lot of the fantasy fiction we see on the market today.
 
So, there you have a sort of bucket list for my ambitions.
 
In the meantime I am accepting submissions of short fiction to 1200 words, poetry to 25 lines, and carefully crafted essays for the Your Work/Your Love page on this blog. You may send them to me via email at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You may also follow or subscribe to this blog using gadgets that can be found on the right side of the page by resting your cursor there. I truly love your company and it does help with the search engine ratings. Comments, critiques, and questions can be submitted using the form at the bottom of the page. I always welcome your input and will reply as quickly as possible.
 
As always, remember...live, love, write.
 
 
Dane F. Baylis

No comments:

Post a Comment