Sunday, December 22, 2013

Day 350 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author/publisher,
Dane F. Baylis

DOWN TO THE WIRE

BUT BETTER THAN I USED TO BE.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Today I returned a Holiday present (Yes I said HOLIDAY, get over it) because I had purchased the same one another member of the family had already bought for the same recipient. No biggy. Hell, it's only the 22nd. I'm one of those guys who, for a number of years, did all my shopping on the night before the holiday. Then again, it was mostly cartons of cigarettes and booze, with the occasional movie pass or theater ticket thrown in, or some perfume and lingerie, but I am a fairly mature married grandfather these days so I've given in to the normal practices of society. In some things.
 
Marriage and becoming a responsible contributor to society has been good for me in more ways than one. It has played over into my artistic ambitions, as well. I have learned to be more disciplined and less self-centered. I have learned that, having a talent is no damn good if you don't exercise it for a broader good. I have learned that it is definitely better to give than receive. All the praise in the world coming in my direction is fine, if I can turn that around, if I can inspire, or help, or praise someone else, then what comes back are those moments of gratitude you can't buy. These are the same people who help arrange my readings and sell me to organizers and editors I've never met.
 
Does this mean that everything I do is carefully planned and timed? Hell, no. I'm still just as prone to run right out to the hairy edge of a deadline as I am to be out at 1 A.M. on Christmas morning looking for a present for someone I had procrastinated over for two months. But, hey, if I straightened all that out, I wouldn't be the same endearing reprobate as I've been all these years. 
 
So, get out of your head and into your heart. Remember that it's not really about who you are, but who you can be to others that's probably the most important thing. Altruism is a good trait, especially if it just happens.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live, love, write.
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author/Publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment