Sunday, December 15, 2013

Day 343 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author/publisher,
Dane F. Baylis

YES, I HAVE BEEN CALLED A CURMUDGEON. SO?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I'm not always the most outgoing SOB. I don't let many people in and, other than with my immediate family, I keep my emotional expressions to my art. (Unless someone or thing flat pisses me off.) I take my art more seriously than most people take breathing. I am my most severe and damning critic.
 
So, when I receive the inevitable rejection notice, the best thing I can do is sit right down and take a long hard look at what it is I thought was so irresistible when I sent it out. Now, I'd love to be able to say that what I find to tinker with is always content, but that would be a fib. The first things I find are the mistakes of form. Adjectives and adverbs, the 'ly' words. Passive voice, the dreaded 'ing' verbs. Dropped quotations, missed indents, the occasional misspelling. (No, spell-check doesn't catch them, either.)
 
Then comes considerations of content. This sentence is awkward. Could I have said that better? Am I telling or showing in that paragraph? Why didn't I catch these before I sent it out? Because I was already on the fifth or sixth re-write and had lost the concentration or was just plain burnt out on a particular tale.
 
So, here I sit, hammering away at old ground but, with enough time between the last incarnation and this, I can see with fresh, if not new, eyes where things need work. Does it please me that I'm in a retrograde when I have any number of projects pending? Hell, no, but this is what being a professional means to me. It didn't work the last number of evolutions? Well, let's see if we can make it better and try once again. That's the whole deal in a nutshell. Also why I can be just a little hard to get along with at times. Now do me a favor, and close the door behind you. Okay?
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live, love, write, and rewrite, and reformat, and check the style manuals.
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author/Publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment