Saturday, December 14, 2013

Day 342 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author/publisher,
Dane F. Baylis

REJECTION OR MOTIVATION?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Not unusual, another rejection in the mail yesterday. This was from a very competitive market that has published some of the best known names in recent times. I am a small fish in that very big pond, but that doesn't stop me from trying to stake out my place in the terrain.
 
Why not just say to hell with all that noise and publish it all myself? First of all, unlike too many others today, I put AUTHOR after my name when others started picking up my work, not just because I thought I could bestow the title on myself. Prior to that I was what almost every single self-published whiz kid still is in my estimation. An untried, unvalidated, WRITER. Someone who had the ambition and desire, but hadn't attained the goal yet.
 
Don't get me wrong. The market is even more competitive today then it was when I first saw my work in print with a by-line attached to it. It is because of that dog-eat-dog nature in the whole thing that I have become even more intent on furthering my goals. That is why, when something comes back with a rejection, I take a hard look at it and see where it might be improved and where I'm sending it next. The motivation behind it is really very simple. If I succeed there then I will be far and away a more recognized and accepted AUTHOR than I am already. I will have shown my tenacity and faith to my craft and art while so many others feel that the truly hard work is an imposition on their egotistical self-vision.
 
I have my triumphs, few and far between as they may seem, and that's what keeps me going. A large part of it is the same discipline that has kept me going in this blog challenge when all the other participants flaked out. I said I would do it and I did. I say I will out shine the vast majority of today's budding young murderers of the literary art and I will. Don't believe me? Well, pick up the gloves and step in the ring!
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live, love, write as if your life depended on it!
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author/Publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment