Thursday, December 19, 2013

Day 347 0f the 365 Days of Blogging

The author/publisher,
Dane F. Baylis

AN OBSERVATION

OR

AS SHORT AND SWEET AS I'M CAPABLE OF BEING!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
As I'm winding down this year-long blogging marathon, I'd like to point something out. It's something I noticed early on but thought might be an aberration. As it kept happening, I began to think  it was the true nature of the beast.
 
Specifically, if I light into somebody with a measure of heartfelt vitriol, my readership suddenly spikes. This will continue pretty much until I get over myself and return to trying to make helpful, constructive suggestions. Then, as sure as thunder follows lightning, the number of visits to the site will drop off sharper than the walls of the Grand Canyon. I can literally watch statistics go from a few hundred views a day to the single digits in the space of a couple of posts.
 
Really? Is this what you're hoping to read? Some malcontent with an acerbic wit tearing into anybody - so long as it isn't you? Have you so much raw talent and innate knowledge that you don't need to at least review what it is you're doing out there? From what I've seen of the figures being posted on author sites, and the sales and ratings on the major on-line distributors, I'd definitely be inclined to think otherwise.
 
But as I said, this is just an observation. As long as I'm getting physical bookings in the real world to read and pedal my work, I'm not concerned over whether you all tear each other to shreds. I did think that as a community faced with shrinking markets, sales, and profits, you might be a little more interested in how others have carved out niches and found a modicum of success, however this doesn't appear to be the case for the majority of you. I'm not convinced thinly veiled jealousies and petty rivalry can supplant talent, but have a ball testing that approach.
 
Then again, these have only been helpful hints from your Uncle Dane.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live, love, write.
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author/Publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment