Saturday, December 21, 2013

Day 349 of thr 365 Days of Blogging

The author/publisher'
Dane F. Baylis

THE PERSONAL TOUCH

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Since before Thanksgiving I've been hearing this battle cry about shopping local at the smaller independent merchants. A hell of an idea that, and one that I have practiced for a very long time, but then I'm from that generation that invented all this computerized on-line foofaraw, not the generation that grew up shackled to it.
 
I actually enjoy shopping the smaller vendors, jostling with the less rabid crowds in the quieter downtown areas. I like the personal touch that can only come about when you take the time to read somebody's name tag, or, lacking that contrivance, actually asking and using their name. You know, treating a shop owner or sales person like a human being and not a machine. It's surprising how far that little bit will go.
 
Also, I enjoy being courteous enough to tell them to take their time with another patron, maybe I'll stroll up the street for a cup of coffee. Funny thing with that, by the time I've finished purchasing that drink the barista and I are on first name basis, though we've never met. Back at the store, the owner deals with me personally, offering a level of service and accommodation you're not going to get on-line.
 
Out on the street, I run into a local publisher who has been good enough to run some of my work. Someone who I have lent a hand to in the odd moment, taking over hosting a reading, or helping set-up before, or pack-up after, an event. The same someone who now is drawing me into a larger and more diverse roll in the local arts and literary scene and has the juice to help me expand my reach.
 
Just another reason why I shun an Internet-only presence and the "Go it alone" ethos. Take my word for it, you are fooling yourself if you think that is going to get you far. Just as the local merchant needs people to walk through his door, you need to develop a personal
relationship with the players who might shepherd you along the road to recognition. It's the development of these types of relationships that made greats out of Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Wolfe, Thompson, Kerouac, Rowling, Rice - The list goes on forever.
 
Just a helpful hint from your nagging Uncle Dane.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live, love, write and take the time to ask someone how there day's going.
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author/Publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment