Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day 284 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author/publisher,
Dane F. Baylis

ONE OF THOSE DAYS!

OR

TECHNOLOGY, CAN'T LIVE WITH IT...AH, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I had an external hard drive crash on me yesterday. The amount of material on this device was almost heart stopping. I now have a spanking new drive because the estimate for recovering the information off the old one was between $500 and $4,000. Luckily, I'm slightly paranoid and have a lot of stuff floating around on various flash drives and residing on my tower. Still, there have been some irrevocable losses and I am not a totally happy camper.
 
In the meantime, I went down to the local zippity-quick copy shop (who shall remain nameless) and had my logo rendered in a scan-able size. From there we are merrily on our way doing the layout for the chapbook. Yes, there's a certain amount of aggravating tedium involved, but that is quickly being pushed aside by the excitement of being underway on this project. Outside of a short argument with my scanner, I'm making steady headway and may come very close to the original number of pages I estimated. Whew! If things keep going the way they are on that front, I may retain a small amount of my sanity.
 
There's a poetry reading in Ventura tonight, which is a welcome break in all the mayhem. Friends, words, a chance at the mic - it's all good on that front. I've cranked out the third or fourth draft of the latest piece and won't feel at all bad debuting it tonight. I've still need to pull together twenty to twenty-five minutes of material for my featured spot on the 7th of November. I'm really looking forward to that and more down the road.
 
I guess another thing you could say is a side benefit to all this frenetic activity is I'm becoming a much better typist. Add to that a growing familiarity with Word, and HP programming and machines, and some things I'm going to have to do in Adobe, and I'm feeling a little prouder of my decision to return to the writing life. You never realize how much you miss the pressure of deadlines and production dates until you don't have them. But it feels so damned good!
 
This weekend looks like it's going to be a mix of work on the chapbook and the regular and not so regular duties of husband and householder. Copyright filing looms ahead. The DBA still has to get done, but probably not before the end of the month. Then there's a trip up to the Sacramento area at Thanksgiving to see my daughter, her boyfriend, and my granddaughter, the "Tiny Terrorist". Everything moves as it does, at its own best pace. As the Buddha said: Life is a river.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live, love, write.
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author/publisher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment