Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Day 283 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author/publisher
Dane F. Baylis

SOMEONE GIVE ME A BOOST, THERE'S SOMETHING OF A LEARNING CURVE HERE.

OR

IS THAT REALLY NECESSARY?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The planning and research continue in the quest to turn out my chapbook. Yesterday I announced I was starting my own imprint. So I thought maybe I'd like a distinctive logo. Maybe something subtle and classy, like just my initials? Maybe my initials in a box? Maybe my initials intertwined and only discernible if you took the time to study it? Naw, how about a stylized, close in rendition of the face of one of my favorite animals - the mountain gorilla. Yes!
 
So that will be the image related to the name of the endeavor. What might that be? That will be a surprise held until I can get the rest of this thing off the ground. Let's just say I'm looking at establishing brand recognition from the outset.
 
Next comes cover art. I intend to stick to a simple black and white line sketch as a measure of economy and simplicity. I have the idea in my noodle and now I need to transfer it to paper. The Editor-in-Wife and I have been looking at layout options and making decisions in that realm. The whole thing can be put together in Word, then converted to .pdf format for transfer to the printer. Technology is truly amazing, so long as I don't end up feeling like roadkill on the Information Superhighway!
 
I mentioned possibly purchasing an ISBN number. Well, Bowker is the supplier for these in the U.S., so I checked their pricing. That took a moment to digest. At $125.00 dollars for a single number, or $250.00 for ten, I was looking at nearly doubling my production cost. Again, better to get my feet wet figuring things out than taking a bath in the process. I went to conference with the Editor-in-Wife, that wealth of logic. Her idea, see how well I do with production and sales on this one in a point of purchase manner, and think about buying into a group purchase of numbers later, as things pan out. More than sensible, and another monkey off my back. If you're interested in learning more about ISBN, Bowker has a good FAQ page at ISBN.org.
 
There you have it for today. There's still copyright filings and acquiring a DBA and a million other details. I have a couple of short stories I've put on the back burner while I work on the chapbook. There's a couple of new poems in keeping with my goal of trying to produce something significant in that form at least once a week. All of this in addition to the general pressure of the day-to-day grind. But, the new project has me so jazzed, the rest of it is more than tolerable.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live, love, write, and find your passion!
 
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author/publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment