Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Day 360 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author/publisher,
Dane F. Baylis

SO IT'S OUT WITH THE OLD AND IN WITH THE NEW. AGAIN!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I don't know about you, but I'm not a resolutions kind of guy. I could give you my cynical take on that time worn tradition but I'll defer to a greater, more entertaining cynic, Mark Twain, who said;
 
"Yesterday, everybody smoked his last cigar, took his last drink and swore his last oath. Today, we are a pious and exemplary community. Thirty days from now, we shall have cast our reformation to the winds and gone to cutting our ancient shortcomings considerably shorter than ever."
 
Instead of the corrective, I prefer to look more to the productive. I take up a new course of study, read authors I have been putting off forever, go to new and interesting places, hang around with intelligent, driven people, take a new direction in my art and writing. None of this is done in the spirit of resolving shortcomings or making good my reprehensible nature.
 
Face it, I damned well do what I will, no deadlines, no amending, no guilt, no heretical resort to religion or morality. As a matter of fact, I've found my batting average to be far better when those players are kept out of the game. Besides, a little immorality just makes the whole thing a bit more interesting and my chances at success better. At least it's still fun if I miss the mark.
 
You want to have a more enjoyable year? Turn off the damned television. Go to the library. Check out the museums. Take some classes. Sit down and write your damned book. A page a day will give you a novel in less than a year. Learn to draw, paint, sculpt. Put away the cell phone and buy a real camera. Join a band or a chorus or the local little theater troupe. In short, get off your dead ass, go outside, and rediscover the universe. It's still the greatest show ever.
 
Just some helpful hints from your Uncle Dane.
 
 

 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live like you mean it, love like it never hurts, and write as if you were the next Pulitzer winner!
 
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author/Publisher.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment