Sunday, September 29, 2013

Day 266 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis

SHIFTING GEARS

OR

THAT'S WHY I DON'T LIKE BEING PIGEONHOLED BY ANYONE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

All right. At this point I have some thirteen or fourteen pieces out for consideration. They are, for the most part, evenly divided between poetry and short fiction. I have a novel length piece that goes in fits and bursts, and three more short stories I'm editing and prepping to send out. Throw this daily blog on the fire and I am not burning my candle at both ends, I'm applying a blow torch to the middle and admiring the resulting conflagration. So, in the midst of all this, what else can I find to stress over?
 
Simple, nothing! I have hit the point where I'm getting a little toasty around the edges when it comes to the fiction work. Not that I don't keep coming up with ideas, or can't pull my stories together, but there's a certain staleness to my thinking. I'm not having as much fun as I should, and I damned well refuse not to have fun at this! The answer? Shift art forms before the dreaded burnout can occur.
 
Oh, I'm not abandoning the written word, nor even short or long form fiction. What I'm doing is ratcheting back the time and commitment of artistic and emotional resources to those so I can spend a bit more time (MAKE THAT A LOT MORE TIME) working on my poetry for now. It's the strategy I've put out before. When it isn't quite happening, go do something else for a while. And in the great tradition of, "Physician heal thyself", that's what I intend to do. In between times, I'm picking up the guitar more frequently just so I can get my fingertips back in shape.
 
As far as readings and all that goes? If I get there, great. If I don't, great also. I'm not doing any of this for the rest of the world. Not even this blog is really for you. This is me doing what I do to be better at that very thing. Anyway, there's less than a hundred days left of this particular effort and I figure it's time to stop taking me, you, or anything else, that damned seriously.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile...live, love, LAUGH, and write.
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the
page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
Tomorrow,
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment