Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 115 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA VOICES

No They Don't Hand Out Oil Wells For Poems

(But Every Now And Then They Do Hand Out Cash Money!)

 
 
 
 
I have never done this before so I'm still figuring out my proverbial butt from a hole in the ground. What I am proposing is a poetry contest. Before you get to crazy, I am initially aiming this at the Southern California area. Perhaps later I can expand my reach but I'm still trying to get the in's and out's figured and would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has done this before.
 
My concept is a winner takes all style competion in which the cash prize goes to one competitor but two others are featured along with the winner for a couple of weeks on this blog, Dane Baylis Undeterred. The poems would have to originate in Southern California and to insure this, more or less, they would have to be posted by snail mail. There would be a forty-five day submission period and a fifteen day judging period. At the end of this period the winners would be announced and the cash prize (I'm proposing fifty dollars) awarded.
 
Poems would have to be original works of under twenty-five lines. (So first prize comes out to two dollars/line which is far better than the majority of paying publications.) They must not have appeared in any other media or publication. This would include work you have self-published or posted to your own site on the web. Immediately after the winners are announced all rights would revert to the poets.
 
So that's my concept and I'm going to flog it around the area for a month or so to see what the live reaction is. I would really like to hear from others either in or out of Southern California, especially if you have any experience  running or organizing something like this. If you do, and want to offer suggestions, contact me at dbaylis805@gmail.com.
 
 
Meanwhile...live, love, write.
 
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
 

Tomorrow,
Dane F. Baylis
Author.


No comments:

Post a Comment