Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 128 of the 365 Days of blogging

the author, Dane F. Baylis

ANNOUNCEMENTS

(If these seem to be a bit repetitive just think of them as as those fliers, cards, and notes that pile up on bulletin boards. I'll take down anything that no longer applies, but while they're pertinent...)
 
1. I am a believer in the never ending process of learning. In that cause I would like to put out an invitation to poets living in the Ventura, California area. Wednesday nights, for the next seven weeks, at 7 PM in Ventura at the Vita Art Center, 432 North Ventura Avenue, there will be an ongoing poetry workshop. This is a great opportunity to sharpen your craft and gather with other writers in the pursuit of excellence.
 
2. I have never done this before so I'm still figuring out my proverbial butt from a hole in the ground. What I am proposing is a poetry contest. Before you get to crazy, I am initially aiming this at the Southern California area. Perhaps later I can expand my reach but I'm still trying to get the ins and outs figured and would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has done this, or anything remotely similar, before.
 
Feel free to contact me about either of these announcements at the e-mail address listed at the bottom of the post.
 

IN OTHER'S WORDS

Or...Once in a while it's better to shut up and get out of the way.

There are times out here when I take a look around at the Internet community, especially those of us who are blogging on a steady basis, and I ask, am I really that pertinent? You know, is what I have to say that valid? Is what I'm throwing out there in the electrosphere, that wonder of hardlines, satellite uplinks, and WiFi something with an application across other people's lives and endeavors? Or am I just beating my digital gums in a vainly neurotic need to talk to myself...LOUD AND IN PUBLIC?
 
So, from time to time, I go prowling about the blogosphere just to see what others are posting and take my measure in comparison to what I find. One of my recurrent rants is, of course, taking every opportunity to write. I admonish that you should ALWAYS carry notebooks, and use them. That, no matter what your schedule, you can find the time. If you cannot find the time, you can steal the time.
 
It was nice to discover a post by one of my favorite bloggers out there, Rebecca, RJ Blain, who posts at On Writing, Life, and Everything, that echoes and supports much of what I put out - some of it quite a bit more eloquently than I have ever done. The particular post is Making the Time To Write. I highly recommend you click this and take a look. If for no other reason than your Uncle Dane said so!


Meanwhile...live, love, write.


Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.


Tomorrow,

Dane F. Baylis
Authr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment