Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Day 93 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis
 

First Of All, Drum Roll Please, We're More Than One Quarter Of The Way Through The 365 Days of Blogging!

(Now Cue The Organ)

It's Time To Talk A Little About INSPIRATION.

 
I'm sure you've all heard the one that goes, "Genius is 5 percent inspiration and ninety-five percent perspiration." Okay, that covers it back to work! No... Just kidding. I want to talk about a couple of sources I use for that elusive five percent.
 
I know, along the way, I've thrown this one out there. Sitting there at the breakfast table without a clue? Open the local newspaper. There are things in there you can not make up.
 
Tell me if this doesn't sound like a highly popular cable TV show. A priest wants to raise some extra cash. So, in between chasing other men around the altar (Nope, I didn't even make that part up) he decides to go into the Methamphetamine business. He needs a cover for the cash that's going to be rolling in. Of course, what else? Buy an adult novelty and video store as a front! Unfortunately, among his first customers is an undercover cop. You're busted.
 
All of that is straight out of the news. I left out the names and locations on purpose (A little CYA). But if that's not a premise for a short story, novel, or TV SCRIPT, what is?
 
Or right from the local library, eBay, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or any number of other sources on the Internet, The Writer's Idea Book by Jack Hefron. This is a best seller full of prompts for plots, beginnings, endings, genre, etc.This is definitely the tool to get the cognitive function unstuck and the juices flowing again.
 
So, the five percent isn't as hard as it seems. It's the ninety-five percent that trips most of us up. That becomes a job for Stephen Kings legendary butt glue. Unfortunately, I haven't found an outlet for this item yet.
 
 
As always...live, love, write.
 
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights
 
 
Later,
 
 
Dane F. Baylis. Author

No comments:

Post a Comment