Saturday, April 27, 2013

Day 111 of the 365 Days of Blogging

The author, Dane F. Baylis

WHY AM I DOING THIS?

(Now there's a question that could lead to a treatise on aberrant behavior but I'll answer it anyway!)

 
Unlike a number of other blogs you might encounter, I am not given over to the "Look at what I've done. Aren't I so clever." school. If that were the driving motivation behind starting this one, it would have closed out months ago. As my departed mother, one who was never given to sugar-coating things, would say, "You're not as clever as you think, numb nuts."
 
My first inspiration was, simply, whether or not I could actually find something semi-intelligent to say day in and day out. Heritage will out, being descended from Irish stock, I have the gift of gab seasoned with a dash of unadulterated bullshit. But let's face it, if that were all this was going to be I'd have bored the eyeteeth out of you, me, and the man-in-the-moon by now.
 
The decision was made early that substantive content had to be the basis, and opportunity for growth, the sustenance of these postings. So, even though writing about writing for an audience of writers might seem the most obvious thing that a...uh...writer?...could do, it was also one of the least confident decisions I've made. After all, just who the hell am I to hold forth on something in a community of so many talented and accomplished personalities?
 
And there's the rub, kiddies, because all of us are so busy doing that wonderful thing - imagining characters, settings, plots...or developing metaphor and language to its most symbolic stature, that we don't always have the time to consider the mechanics and minutiae of what we do. So often we just never have the time to visualize the how's and why's, or have rarely asked ourselves, "What makes me do this?". This was such a point of total fascination that it seemed only natural to set foot down that road and see where it would lead.
 
Believe it or not, this has been as much a journey of self-discovery as it might be one of exposition. Every time I sit down to this desk and put together my daily post, I learn something, or rediscover something, about what I do as a writer. That so many of you have been nice enough to let me know when I have said something that resonated with you has been validation that I chose the right road. For this, and the opportunity to share and collaborate with so many of you, I am profoundly grateful and hope that, in the coming months, I can continue to offer some value to so many visitors and colleagues. I thank you for this opportunity to be part of your days and look forward to the tomorrows.
 
 

 Meanwhile...live, love, write.
 
 
 
Want to follow or subscribe to this blog? There are gadgets for that on the right side of the page. You can leave comments in the form below. I can be reached directly at dbaylis805@gmail.com . You can also find links to some of the sites I visit from time to time on the right. I'm also looking for submissions to the Your Work/Your Love page. Authors retain all rights.
 
 
Tomorrow,
 
 
Dane F. Baylis
Author

No comments:

Post a Comment