Saturday, January 6, 2018

It's All About You!


If You Don't Believe In Yourself, Who Will?


The images at the top of the page are the front and back of my business cards. Simple, clear, and a statement of one thing - My belief in myself and what I'm doing. They are an introduction to people who don't know me and a statement of what I do. More than that, they are a reinforcement of my own self-image. I never leave the house without my card holder and at any opportunity I take it out of my pocket and present one of my cards to someone who has been kind enough to allow me a moment of their time.

Why? Is it about ego? Is it about putting on airs? Is it about striking a pose? Not at all! It's about letting the world know that I take what I do seriously enough to want to present a professional appearance at all times. It's letting that person on the other side of the conversation know that I'm willing to invest more in my craft and artistry than vague desire.

It also is a chance to deepen the conversation. What type of art do I produce? I'm a painter and print maker. What medium? Mostly acrylic on canvas. What do I write? Poetry and short fiction and I'm currently working on the advanced stages of a novel. Where have I shown or published? I've been in several venues in the Santa Barbara County/Ventura County region of Southern California and have placed work in a number of private collections in the US. I've been published in a number of smaller literary journals and am always working on expanding my recognition.

It's mostly about that catch phrase you hear everywhere today. Self-talk. Those words that originate in your thoughts and enter into conversation that validate who you believe you are. When people ask me who I am or what I do I have no hesitation - I'm an Author and Artist. Why capitalized? Because these are worthy occupations and something I have invested a lot of time in. 

But does anyone else think that way about me? Well, this past year I've received several awards for my art, had photographs published online, and there's a shelf of books in my office that all have my written works of one form or another in them. Has any of that made me rich or famous? Hardly - At least not yet. But I have garnered recognition, I've been invited to present my work and opinions, and I've been asked to share my process and thoughts with other artists and writers.

Gee, if I'm not making bundles of cash - Why keep at it? Because it beats the hell out of television and video games. It takes time and research that gets me out of my own dome. It exposes me to other people's thoughts, ideas, and emotions and makes the world a much more interesting place. It teaches me that there are giants to be followed and emulated and some of them you've never heard of either. The belief that you have something to say is the spark. Someone else's belief in what you've said is the fire. But if you don't fan the flame who will ever know it was there?

No comments:

Post a Comment