Saturday, November 18, 2017

WHAT TO DO WHILE WAITING ON IMMORTALITY


IS THERE ANY SUCH THING AS DOWN TIME?






I told myself I was going to take three weeks and let the novel I was working on simmer. Steep in its juices, so, when it was time to refine and season the stew, the fat would be ready to skim away. I was going to do nothing until then.

Well, two short stories, a couple of poetry submissions, and decisions taken and releases filled out for the next paintings to submit for an upcoming show - and three weeks have flown by. That's the whole secret to the artistic life. Write, paint, compose, stare at the ceiling until a vagrant idea flits through. Then write it down before it gets away.

Doodle. Noodle. Read, read, read, read, read.

Before I know it I'm headed for my twelfth art exhibit this year. I've taken four awards from the twelve, so far, and I have eighteen short stories out for consideration by eighteen different publications. Not to mention the four poetry submissions my gorgeous wife made for me. Everything from a maximum of three pieces to a complete chapbook.

This all occurs around researching markets, agents, building my platform, re-opening this blog which laid in neglect far too long, and ordering new business cards.

Then there's the constant research for the creative portion. Which involves everything from scouring libraries, the Internet, the daily newspapers, cookbooks (If you're going to crack one open - Damn it, cook something!). Add to this excursions to museums and historic sites, and just plain old fashioned road trips for the hell of it. If you're going to write about a particular area, you might as well know what it looks like.

Is there any such thing as down time? I eavesdrop and people watch, I flip over rocks and poke around tide pools. Take pictures. Make sketches. Whistle, hum, yodel, give out a barbaric YAWP! Down time is coming in abundance. When they put the pennies on your eyes.

Oh, did I mention I'm rewriting a novel?



No comments:

Post a Comment